While I am tempted to do the usual congratulatory message to the current outgoing Batch B_NYSC_Corpers, I am also pressed towards waking them up to the subdued reality that "YOUR NYSC CERTIFICATE IS NOT A DEGREE". So as you guys celebrate and take several photographs posing with your "certificate", ask yourselves the following pertinent questions :
What have I done to improve myself in the past year? What skills have I amplified that separates me from the crowd?
Now that I have found myself in the labour market , probably with a serial number of 12,456,957 , am I at the mercy of "The System" : waiting, fasting/praying -helplessly hoping for fate or some divine force to bring the jobs to you? OR am I perpetually in a state of dependence on connections and favours from people, fixing ourselves in places and positions we never envisioned, doing Jobs we hate, continuing the "Square Peg In Round Hole " syndrome that has continued to erode the productivity and intellectual values of the system.
Would I end up being someone whose destiny is determined by some boss, policy or economical state. Am I that engineer who ends up figuring out excel spreadsheets from 9am to 5pm in a Bank?
Am I going to be a victim of the system ??
OR
DO I start to seek ways to carve a niche for yourself in the system. Are there ideas or skills I possess that differentiate me from the herd.
Develop an ANTI-HERD mentality people.
Congratulations and God bless
Written by
Ogunedo Obinna
What have I done to improve myself in the past year? What skills have I amplified that separates me from the crowd?
Now that I have found myself in the labour market , probably with a serial number of 12,456,957 , am I at the mercy of "The System" : waiting, fasting/praying -helplessly hoping for fate or some divine force to bring the jobs to you? OR am I perpetually in a state of dependence on connections and favours from people, fixing ourselves in places and positions we never envisioned, doing Jobs we hate, continuing the "Square Peg In Round Hole " syndrome that has continued to erode the productivity and intellectual values of the system.
Would I end up being someone whose destiny is determined by some boss, policy or economical state. Am I that engineer who ends up figuring out excel spreadsheets from 9am to 5pm in a Bank?
Am I going to be a victim of the system ??
OR
DO I start to seek ways to carve a niche for yourself in the system. Are there ideas or skills I possess that differentiate me from the herd.
Develop an ANTI-HERD mentality people.
Congratulations and God bless
Written by
Ogunedo Obinna
Hi Obinna, Thank you for writing this motivational article.
ReplyDeleteNigerian graduates should learn to fend for themselves. Most of these people are looking for ready made jobs.
We can't rely on the government concerning the issue of job.
When i finished NYSC, a started a site called jamtechproject , by the grace of God Today, am earning big from it.
People should learn and think on what they can use their hands to create and make big money from it.
Thanks